Search This Blog

Monday, August 2, 2010

The Blame Game

Do you play it?

The need to find someone to blame for our problems, faults, and shortcomings is like a plague around us. No televised trial is complete without the accused pointing his (or her) finger at the people or circumstances that made them do it. Even my children learn that game early on... for example, when I hear them say "But he made me mad, Mom!".

It seems that taking responsibility for yourself isn't exactly popular. It started with Adam and Eve...

The man said, “The woman you put here with me—she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it.” Genesis 3:12

So what does God tell us to DO about it? And why do I feel the need to drag someone down with me anyway?

For every man shall bear his own burden. Galatians 6:5

He tells us that... our sins are ours.

...and...

and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Matthew 10:38

He says to carry our own cross... He didn't say give your cross to your brother or sister and have them carry it. And if we don't, we're not worthy of Him. Ouch... that part gets me.

Who am I that I think someone else should bear my shame? Who am I that I think I can get away with it?

And Who do I think Jesus is if I can't tell Him when I've messed up without volunteering someone else for my punishment?

Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:7

Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. Hebrews 4:16

Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound: so that, just as sin reigned in death, so also grace might reign through righteousness to bring eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 5:20-21

I can speak for myself only... I just know that the spotlight is so terribly uncomfortable when I've done something wrong that I want to deflect that attention elsewhere! When I'm embarassed I can't stand the staring. And in my weakness I can end up bringing my brothers and sisters in Christ down.

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Ephesians 4:29

I'll be working on remembering this when I mess up and feel the need to justify my actions. I don't want to play the Blame Game... and I don't have to.

1 comment:

  1. from the outside looking in, it doesn't appear that you place blame on others.

    ReplyDelete