Search This Blog

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Finishing What We Start

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:14

I am not a finisher. I am great at starting things, but I always seem to leave everything hanging. I get distracted... or overwhelmed. I have projects from the past that need just one little thing or a simple fix that have sat around forever.

For the life of me I can't figure out why. It feels good to finish things. It especially feels good when we finish something and do well at it.

What if Jesus had only partly healed the woman who had touched his robe? What if He started raising Lazarus from the dead... and stopped to do something else? Imagine that He had only walked halfway up that hill to the cross... or if He had only sort of conquered death. I'd say it would be out of character for Him to do anything without doing it all the way.

If we want to be of the same character as Jesus, we should also be finishers. We shouldn't start something and leave it undone. We shouldn't do any less than our best. And it shouldn't matter if we WANT to do it or not. If God calls us to do something, it needs to be done. I know if I only did the things I wanted to do... well, it wouldn't be pretty around here.

One thing that God calls us to do is pursue holiness. He calls us to be like Him, and to model after His character. No doubt about it, Jesus is holy!

Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord. Hebrews 12:14 (italics are mine)

But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; 1 Peter 1:15

I am the LORD who brought you up out of Egypt to be your God; therefore be holy, because I am holy. Leviticus 11:45

I find the idea that God calls us to be holy pretty amazing. First of all, if He's asking us to do it, it's possible. Second, it's not optional... He's asking us to pursue this and make it a priority. He mentions it quite a few times, in the Old and New Testament.

In the beginning of my walk with Jesus I thought holiness was just for Him. But look at the definition:

Holy - Belonging to, derived from, or associated with a divine power; sacred.

The Hebrew word for holy is "kedushah", which literally means "to be set apart for a special purpose" or implies "separateness".

So read the verses with the word holy in them, and insert the words "separate" or "set apart" or "sacred". Suddenly holiness seems more doable than mustering up the elusive power of perfection, which is how I used to interpret holiness. This is a call to be set apart for God's purpose!

But understanding what you're pressing on to helps. So does reading 1 Peter 13-25:

13 Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed. 14 As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. 15 But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; 16 for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.”

17 Since you call on a Father who judges each man’s work impartially, live your lives as strangers here in reverent fear. 18 For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your forefathers, 19 but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect. 20 He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake. 21 Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, and so your faith and hope are in God.

22 Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for your brothers, love one another deeply, from the heart. 23 For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God. 24 For,

“All men are like grass,
and all their glory is like the flowers of the field;
the grass withers and the flowers fall,
25 but the word of the Lord stands forever.”

And this is the word that was preached to you.


Holiness is an attainable goal. I feel like I can finish this. It's doable. Not easy, just possible. We can't stop when we're half-way there. And when we're done:

"His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!' Matthew 25:23

3 comments:

  1. Great post! It's nice to read something positive about being holy. Instead of the "of course we know it can't be done," sort of post. Thanks for speaking out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! This does help me feel like I can finish if I set it apart from everything else!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Anna. I felt like I needed something to be put into perspective. I was sitting here thinking about it but didnt know what I was looking for. Kinda weird. Anyways so i decided to check out your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete