Search This Blog

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Everybody does it!

A teen's favorite excuse right? An accepted argument by much of this world. It comes in other forms too.

"All kids go through that stage."

"It's bound to happen sooner or later."

"Oh, come on! We've all done that."

"Nobody's perfect."

"At least I didn't kill anyone."

It's pretty safe to say that we all make excuses. What is an excuse really? I'd say it's our attempted justification for an action. But we forget that you can't justify something if it's wrong.

Your friends have been fighting for years, and decide to divorce. Instead of praying or offering help, or, heaven forbid, calling them on it... we say "It was bound to happen sooner or later".

Your teen stays out past curfew. Your well-meaning friend says, "Oh, come on... we've all done that". (In front of your teen!)

You confess to a friend that you can't seem to stop spending money on things you really can't afford. "Hey, nobody's perfect" is their only helpful input.

You accidentally ding a car in the parking lot with your cart... it's only a small scratch, but you leave. "Hey, I didn't kill anyone!"

This all reflects an attitude of worldliness. It is lack of accountability. It is permitting defeat. This world, our culture... and even the church has eroded the line between right and wrong down to a gray area a mile wide. And, even worse, once something is decided to be wrong... no one wants to take responsibility for it. It's always someone else's fault.

Why don't we care about right and wrong any more?! Political correctness? The relative truth movement? I think it's just our human-ness.

for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God
Romans 3:23


That doesn't mean we're doomed to do no good though.

By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?
Matthew 7:16


God calls us to be a better example! We're supposed to be the people that the lost look to! People aren't looking for thornbushes... all they have to offer are thorns. Be a grape!

Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.
1 Thessalonians 5:11


Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.
Ephesians 4:29


Looking the other way isn't building each other up. Ignoring problems isn't either. Being passive to sin won't help a friend. We need to hold each other accountable. We need to declare victory over sin together. But we can't do that until we are brave enough to point it out and call it what it is.

Sometimes that means we need to step out of our comfort zone and speak up, in love.

Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.
1 John 4:7


Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for your brothers, love one another deeply, from the heart.
1 Peter 1:22


Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent.
Revelation 3:19


If done in love, we will never regret speaking up. And when it is done prayerfully, God will honor it. But if it is never done... nothing will change. We'll go on looking like the rest of the world.

2 comments:

  1. WOW! Absolutely fantastic!! So many people need to read this.

    Many thoughts come to mind as I read this.

    First: So what if everybody is doing it...it doesn't make it right if God's word clearly says it is wrong.

    I have even had someone tell me that I could not tell them to live right because I have a past and have done the same things. (Before I was a Christian).
    It really doesn't matter what I have done in the past, Truth is Truth, and no matter what I have done or not done....the fact remains that the act is wrong.

    Second: Calling sin...sin. We are told to go to our brothers & sisters when we see they are in sin.
    Not to pick people apart, but in love..first examining ourselves and know that we are right with God.

    A good example is disciplining our children. We don't let them continue to do wrong. It is not loving to do so.

    Same with correcting our brother/sister. If we love them we want them to stay on the path and continue to follow Christ.

    My husband has confronted me before and it is not easy to hear. Often, I have been quite annoyed and my pride has gotten the best of me. After some time of taking into consideration what my husband was telling me, I could see that he was right and I am always so grateful as I strive to get my heart right with God again.
    It was loving for my husband to care enough to tell me what was wrong and many times I could not see it myself until he pointed it out.

    Just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome Anna!Dont we all hear tons of excuses all of the time even from ourselves. Im guilty of it. This gives me something to refer back to next time I try to "Justify" something. BE A GRAPE!

    ReplyDelete