Search This Blog

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Squinting

What do you do when you can't see something clearly?

You squint.

The trouble with squinting is that your eyes are mostly closed. And if your eyes are mostly closed... you're not really seeing everything.

I do that with life when I just don't get what God is doing, I don't see the sense in it. I squint, trying to see the problem more clearly... but all I am doing is shutting out the big picture. Instead of a clearer picture I have focused intently on a problem. I've also taken my eyes off of God.

If my eyes are not on God I have stopped trusting Him. If He is not my focus, I have chosen another god over Him. What good will it do me to make my troubles lord over my life? If I turn to my problems, will they comfort me?

(from Luke, Chapter 12)

22 Then Jesus said to his disciples: “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. 23 Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. 24 Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! 25 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his lifeb? 26 Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?

27 “Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 28 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith! 29 And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. 30 For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them. 31 But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well.

32 “Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. 33 Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. 34 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.


It would be more beneficial to step back, open my eyes wide... and maybe even grab my glasses! Seriously, I need to be looking to Jesus! But I get caught up in knowing intsead of trusting!

And whoever sees me sees him who sent me.
I have come into the world as light, so that whoever believes in me may not remain in darkness.
John 12:45-46


It would be good for me to remember also, that God knows what He's doing. He's completely qualified for the job. No one has a resume like His. If I look to Him, He will not let me down. Just because I can't see what He sees doesn't mean I need to panic. Maybe if I stopped squinting and looked to Him I would see the whole picture. Maybe not, but I would have the the most important thing in my sight.

If we knew better than Him, we wouldn't need Him. I've yet to see a human that could handle a political office properly... not to mention that I can't even get through the day without messing up. And we think we have better solutions to our problems than the very One Who formed us? What dangerous pride! Didn't He say He would take care of us?

And I bet if we knew everything He knew, we'd still make the same choices He does.

1 comment: