Search This Blog

Monday, July 19, 2010

Monkey See, Monkey Do

Two ideas have shaped the way I see myself as a parent. (1) Many of your children's behaviors are learned behaviors. (2) You (the parents) are the first representation of Jesus that a child sees.

Both of these ideas were convicting for me. Not only do my kids mimic my behaviors, good and bad... but their relationship with Jesus is directly affected by the way I parent them!

Obviously they all have their own little personalities... they probably aren't going to turn out like mini versions of mom and dad. But they will bend toward the behaviors we exhibit, the way a plant grows toward the light. Think of a plant that is placed on the window sill, bending toward the sunshine... often, even if we turn the plant around and it starts growing the other way, there is often still a permanent bend in the stem.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I've considered hunting down the parents of the people that I would like for my children to emulate. I'd like to ask them what they did as parents to make their kids turn our so well.

I don't think I need to though. We've already been given plenty of parenting instructions, right?

As a father shows compassion to his children, so the LORD shows compassion to those who fear him. Psalms 103:13

Fathers, do not embitter your children, or they will become discouraged. Colossians 3:21

Or if your child asks for a fish, would you give him a snake? Matthew 7:10

These verses showcase how we are to interact with our children. I'm sure there are more... but there is also the relationship between God and His children to look at.

He is compassionate. He is encouraging. He is just and kind. He is generous. He gives us the best and gives it freely. He is loving, unconditionally. These are qualities He wants us to reflect to the world. And if our children never see the characteristics of Jesus in us, chances are the world will never see them from our children!

As parents, our children are our disciples by default! Disciples that are trained by example. If we want our children to be prepared to go out in the world with a hunger for the lost, we have to have a hunger for the lost. If we expect them to continue to love Jesus after they are out on their own... we have to love Him while our children are still our captive audience.

The purpose of our parenting should be to further God's Kingdom.

1 comment: