Search This Blog

Thursday, July 22, 2010

I quit.

I have been a non-smoker for 7 years and 4 months. If you've never smoked you make not get the full effect of that statement. I had an addiction. Now I do not.

If you've ever smoked (or had any addiction) you can appreciate what I'm saying here. Smoking consumed my life... yes, I did other things beside smoke, but it was always there, incorporated somehow. It dictated where we went out to eat, who we visited, and even took a priority seat in our finances. It was in my thoughts when I woke up and one of the last things I did before I slept.

Quitting was HARD. We tried many, many times. Even knowing all we do about smoking, I would have to say that many of the times we tried to quit... I didn't even want to stop. I enjoyed it too much. Eventually I was able to kick the habit when I prayed "God... if you want me to quit, then it's up to You. I can't..." and from then on... I didn't smoke.

Addiction is defined as being dependent on something, or having an abnormally strong craving for something. When someone is deprived of their addiction, trauma results. Trust me, each time I had tried to quit on my own... I felt the trauma!

Jesus is my addiction now. I am dependent on Him, for all things. I have an abnormally strong craving for Him, His presence, His love. And I would be horribly traumatized without Him. And it's a habit I don't want to break.

I wake up in the morning thinking about Him, and He's on my mind when I fall asleep. He is a deciding factor in where we go, the relationships we have, and even our finances. I pray that He will consume every part of my life...

Because, His Word says:

Be diligent in these matters; give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your progress. Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both youself and your hearers. 1 Timothy 4:15-16

If I am addicted to Jesus, if I depend on God completely... it will show on the outside. People who see me, will see Him. Just like you can smell a smoker a mile away.

And as we live in God, our love grows more perfect. So we will not be afraid on the day of judgment, but we can face him with confidence because we live like Jesus here in this world. 1 John 4:17

In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven. Matthew 5:16

So... I'm an addict. But you won't see me at a Jesus Anonymous meeting. I want everyone to know! I have the hat, the t-shirt, the coffee mug, and the bumper sticker. I also have an autograph... written in His blood. I want it to show, I want others to know Him.

And I bet they'll get hooked too.

No comments:

Post a Comment